Monday, May 16, 2011

Mother's Day Phone Call-2011

As parents of missionaries, we are blessed to receive phone calls from them every Mother's Day and Christmas. We look forward hearing our son's voices. Not only do we hear them, but we also learn their spiritual experiences, their growth, how they see miracles everyday and how much the love what they are doing-teaching the word of God. Here are just a few highlights or questions from friends and family from Evan's phone call: *Does someone do your laundry? Yes, a woman in the branch washes and folds my clothing the best I have ever had in my life. She is so sweet and good. The woman uses a tube to get water from the running river for water. She washes my clothes in a cement bowl with soap. My clothes are spotless. *Where is the nearest market? It is about a 15 minute walk. The best food sold there is cheese, ham and bread. *Do you ever get or feel clean? No :) *What is your diet like? Ham and cheese sandwiches, corn flakes, pancakes (sometimes), beans, rice, eggs. I never really eat dinner. Just breakfast and lunch. Usually I will buy a bag of chips as a snack for dinner time. *Do you cook your own meals? Yes. *How do you hear the news? Everyone here gets something that is like a newspaper. Everyone reads it, and tells the missionaries everything that is happening in the U.S. Especially sports. *How do you say Polochic? Polo cheek *We meet in a chapel that was built about 25 yrs ago. It is two-stories high, with air conditioning. Sacsuha has a large branch. But only about 96 attended on Sunday. *What is your house like? It is made of cement with holes for windows (no glass) and a doorway. Four of us live in this house. *How far do you walk to email us? I walk about 15 minutes. *Do you preach the Gospel everyday? Yes, to everyone I can. *How is the Q'echi' coming along? I was struggling-then one day, BOOM! It was more clear to me. I have a long way to go. But I can actually carry on a conversation. *How do you say Senahu? Sena oo *How far are you from Senahu? Two hours riding in the back of a truck. We pay them 3 quetzals-about 30 cents. *What is your favorite thing about Polochic? EVERYTHING! This is how I pictured my mission. These are the people I wanted to teach the Gospel to. *Talked of school plans after the mission. *Discussed his love for his mission companions and buddies. *We were looking for a house to live. There were miracles in finding in. I see miracles everyday on my mission. That's how the mission is. *The time is going too fast. I have so much more to do here. *I love these people with all my heart. *I hope to be half of what they are. They just love. *I love the children. They like to play games. *Evan bore his testimony in Qe'chi'. He talked of his love for Joseph Smith. His appreciation of the Atonement. He had trouble speaking in English and describing where he lives and his experiences. Thanks to Elder Smith for all these pictures of Evan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment