Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Arriving in Guatemala-March 1, 2010

Evan's Missionary Group arriving in Guatemala Evan's 1st Letter from the Mission Field: (Las Victorias) Mother! Well i got on and the ZL let me email you more cuz of what happened to the last huge long email! I sent you deleted right before! Ill type as much as i can the finish the rest next week. SoFirst! My Trainer is Elder Drach! He just turned 23 today! Hes so awesome! Im serving in Las Victorias! The “richest” part of my mission! But its still soooo ghetto! Haha I love it! There are spiders and cockroaches and fleas everywhere! People literally live in tin everywhere haha. Its so great. My first Sunday went really well! It was 60 degrees and people thought that it was soooooo cold haha. So a lot of people didn’t come to church. Haha I love it. I got my first new investagator! Her name was Dulce! Her Boyfriend has been a member for 3 years and shes super stoked about the gospel! I love it here more then anything! I think the people are so cooL! Im sorry again I had no time. Promise next weeks will be good. love you. Elder Fast! Evan's 2nd letter from Las Victorias: K, so i have a lot to say and i dont know how much I'll be repeating and it will be jumbled but yea! Ready? k! So first my trainer! His name is Elder Drach! He is from Oklahoma! About 5 inches shorter then me…and…yes, hes going bald ahha. I love it. Hes so awesome! Really! He's a hard worker and helps me a ton! Hes 23 years old, and hes the man for coming on a mission! Im gonna attach some pictures so you can see in a little! We live in a janky house that’s the RICH part of Guatemala haha….ooohhh but its still gross! Haha So every day…I eat black beans that are sooooo good!!! Eggs! Mmmmm! And tortillas! So good! I seriously love it! And you put this cream on it that’s weird but it taste so dang good!! Yes. I love it. Food here….well dirty and against all my germ problems but im doing good. I even eat onions a lot. Hate it. But I do it! So, I cant remember if I told you, but, I can't play soccer. Not in the street, not on pday, not ever. Shattered all my dreams. But who cares. They play all the time here. Its so cool. I love watching them. Sometimes when walking by will I see them score and run on the court going crazy with them. They just laugh cuz im white and don’t know any Spanish haha. Oh! I get to call Garrick whenever I want! Hes doing really well! Hes out north and speaking kekchi! I don’t know how. That’s hard. Here there are TONS of fleas. I have propably a good 50 flea bites and I use bug spray every night. But I don’t even care. Its Guate. And I love it. Every one here calls me FAST and FURIOUS like the movie. But they all think they're funny so I giggle with them. About this camera scenario I dunno. I am gonna buy one today. I promise. But I wish I could get your opinion mother! Its hard livin alone. Haha. Oh! The markets here! COOLEST ever!!!! They go for streets ans streets! Just kiosk after kiosk! And with the jankiest stuff haha. But the mangos here??? Oh! MY! GOODNESS! SOOOOOOO good! They would blow your mind!! Wow they are good. So sweet. Also im sure you’ve heard about the corte ladies. Theyre the ones who wear all the different colors and stuff. Google them. But they're all over here. They all make tortillas and sell them like 7 for a quetzal. Which is like 7 for a 15 cents. They're really not intelligent though. They cant read. Or hardly talk haha. But theyre sooooooo friendly. I love it. How they sell them though is they just walk through the street with a huge basket on their heads and yell,"TOORTIIILLLLLLAAAASSSS!" in the most high pitched annoying voice ever. haha. Also guys everyday go through the street yelling "Arreegglloooo Zapatos!!!!!" which is I fix shoes. And that’s every day. All day haha. Its awesome. Another weird thing is there is a guy who goes through our area everyday with 15 goats and yells "tengo leche!!!!" Which is I have milk. Hahaha and people just go out with a cup and he milks them right into the cup. So nasty. But I love it- So there are a TON of gross flea ridden ugly stray dogs here. And I hate those more then anything. And a lot of them are kinda mean but its so cool. Here all the dogs are trained by nature if you bend down and act like your picking up a rock they run away! Haha its cool! Sometimes I fake it even if theyre far away just to watch them take off running. Its cool. OH! The other day I heard "The good, The bad, and The ugly" playing in someone's house!!! I was so excited!!!! Made me think of you dad!! Haha I loved it. So we have one person in our area with a date to get baptized. Her name is Lourdes. But she has to go to church 3 times before. And we have this investagator Cristobal who has read the whole Book of Mormon and everything but wont get baptized or anything. Cuz he said he just wants to wait until spirit prison………But he wont listen to our counsel. Sad. The other day I contacted a house all alone and got in all alone and then taught them a lesson all on my own! Well my comp was there but I did it! Its was so cool! I got 3 firsts! I could feel the spirit working really strong with me in my Spanish. So yesterday in church this lady in Gospel principles class was teaching false doctrine about where tithing goes. My comp had to correct her. People here get really offended over dumb stuff. So last story. There was a family who fed us last week and they are very poor. And they gave like all they had. And then my comps bday was last week so they invited us over yesterday too. And theyre electricity was out, because they couldn’t pay their power bill. And we had to bring flashlights to eat. And they made a huge plate of rice and that was it. And they were giving us all they could. And then we were about to go but then they said that they had dessert for us. And my heart dropped. Because i knew they didn’t have money for it but it was his birthday and they wanted to treat him. Anyways they brought out a huge cake, huge. And cakes here are minimum 150 quetzales which could buy food for 2 weeks here. It killed me. I shared a message with them before I left about sacrifices and what blessing come from them. And they already knew though. That’s why they sacrificed for us. Here in Guate, missionaries come first. People here are perfect. I love it so much. It already scares me knowing I have to leave here someday. I love it. I know this work is real. Im so happy to be here. Thank you for your support. You have no idea what and how much it helps me. I love you. Elder Fast

1 comment:

  1. Could he be any cuter or more positive? What an extraordinary young man you have raised!!! He's an incredible missionary already. Praying that Jordan is blessed to serve with him someday!

    ReplyDelete