
Christmas Eve

Elder Saenz

Brooothers-I can really dunk!

ALL my packages from family and friends
Two of our daughters and their husbands were here to talk to Evan. It was fun as each one took their turn, to listen to the RMS talk and reflect on their missions. Oh, how I love that!
Highlights from our call:
*He was reading 'Jesus The Christ' when we called.
*He shared stories from his journal with his bro-in-law. But said I couldn't hear. ;)
*He sings a hymn to those he is teaching before every lesson.
*He never thought he would love the people as much as he does. He would do anything for them.
*Elder Saenz in his brand-new companion.
*There were so many fireworks that kept them awake on Christmas Eve, they sang Christmas songs together to pass the time.
*Bore his testimony in Spanish to his sister, Serretta.
*Working with 3 families that love learning the Gospel. They should be set for baptism in January.
*His daily routine is pretty much this:
Wakes up and prays
Works out
Studies individually
Companion Study time
Breakfast
Works until 1 p.m.
Lunch/snack
Works until 8p.m. or 9p.m.(Culturally-They really don't ever have dinner)
*He lives in a cement house without a shower or bathroom. He cleans up by heating water and washing off every morning. He does his "business" in a tub/pail outside. It is only cleaned out every 9 days.
*The poorest people in his area drape plastic or a tarp over a tree branch for shelter. The richest people live in a cement house with plastic flooring.
*LOVES his MTC Companion, Elder Toolson-"He is the man!"
*Saw Elder Mays at the temple on Tuesday!
*He hasn't ever met Elder Smith, but has talked to him on the phone several times. Says he hears nothing but good about him. "I know he is a good missionary"
*Expressed deep appreciation and love for his dad.
*Set a fecha with the "Ice Queen". She has had 4 other sets of missionaries, and would never set a date-but has with him.
*Pretty hard on himself for lack of baptisms. Talked alot about that with his Zone Leader, and realized that it is not about him, but about the people and the Savior. Since that conversation, he has worked harder on serving and just loving.
*Our card had one minute left, the call was cutting out, and had quite a delay. So as he and I were trying to say good-bye, there seem to be some hesitation. We both expressed our love for each other. I tried to express how proud I was of him and his dedication. He said, "Mom, I can never tell you how much I love you and your support. I was a very hard kid, and I now realize how much you relied on the Lord to help me. Thank you for being my mom. I love you." Then the phone call was cut off.
I will say it for the rest of my life-There is nothing like having a missionary. Ever! There are many great and wonderful blessings in being a parent-seeing your children succeed, being there when they are married in the temple, having grandchildren, seeing your family grow and develop. But there is nothing like having a missionary. The feeling in your home, the peace, the blessings. Nothing like it. We are truly blessed parents.
His words and comments warmed my heart! What a great missionary! Yes, I agree! There is NOTHING that quite compares to having a missionary. So thankful to be able to share this experience with the amazing Fast family! Still crossing my fingers that Evan and Jordan will finally meet one day!!! (preferably in Guatemala)
ReplyDeletedang it Meegan, I just put my make-up on and now it's all over my face. Thank you for sharing. I know the feeling is mutual with elder Toolson. xoxo
ReplyDelete