Oct 13, 2009-The Mission Call
It was a year ago, almost to the day that Evan received this letter. For me the emotions are still right on the surface of that evening and time.
Evan had been working the past year and a half selling home alarm systems all over the country, including Hawaii. He had moved from home the day he graduated from high school. He was anxious and excited to get his life going. And, to prepare for his mission. He had lived in several different states for short amounts of time. Some longer than others.
Last October, he turned in his Mission Papers to our Stake President. Then the next day Evan left for Hawaii one last time. He would be gone for 15 days. He knew his mission call would probably come while he was gone. His plan was if it came, we would overnight it to him so he could open it and read it himself. That was the plan, and as his parents we were fine with that. It was his mission, not ours.
Evan had been gone for about a week. And his papers had been in about a week. My husband, Rey and I had been gone until late Friday evening. Rey walked over to our mailbox, having a feeling the call would be there. Even though we actually still had another week or so.
I was in the house, Rey walked in with a large envelope. I recognized it. It was Evan's mission call! Oh my goodness! Oh wow! He is in Hawaii, and we are here. Rey, my husband called Evan. It was 10 pm our time, so about 6 pm his time. Rey told him the call was here. I could hear Evan's voice get louder and full of excitement. He kept saying,"What do I do? What do I do? Should you send it to me? What should I do?" Rey told him to think about it for a few minutes and call us back.
Evan called back within 5 minutes. He had a plan. All of his room mates would call each of our 6 other children. Our daughter and her family that lives close by would come to our house. Evan wanted his dad to open and read the call outloud, while Evan listened on the phone with me. We were all on speaker phone. I can't even describe the excitement as I could hear each of our children respond that they were all on the phone. All their families ready to hear where their youngest sibling would be serving his mission! It was quite incredible.
As Rey opened the envelope, I could hear little giggles from everyone. We could hardly contain ourselves.
Rey saw the call, and smiled. Then began reading to all of us..."Elder Fast you are hereby called to serve in the Guatemala Guatemala City North Mission. You will report on Dec. 30, 2009." There were cheers of joy! As Rey finished the letter, I was still on the phone with Evan, I could hear him sniffling. I could barely hear his voice. He said, "Mom, I know that's where I am suppose to be. I KNOW that's where the Lord wants me." We both sat in silence and cried. Once he got his composure, he shouted,"I AM GOING TO GUATEMALA!!!" He was wound up. We were all wound up!! So much gratitude in our hearts. Each sibling got to give a shout out to Evan. Very, very amazing how it all worked out.
Each one in our family was able to be a part of receiving Evan's call. It really was incredible!
A few hours later, I couldn't sleep. I was so excited. A million things were going through my mind. How are we going to have everything ready in time? How will we send him money? When will we have his farewell? Will all of our children be able to make it? And so on.
My phone rang. It was Evan. He was still so wound up. He was walking to Taco Bell for something to eat, as we were talking. While we were still on the phone, he placed his order. I could hear him order, then say,"I am going to Guatemala! I am going to be a missionary for my church for 2 years! It's going to be so awesome!" The cashier responded,"Really man? That's cool!"
Of course, being the mom that I am, I started crying as I heard him announce he was going to be a missionary in Guatemala for 2 years. My heart swelled with love and gratitude. We talked for a least for another hour. He had me look up all kinds of information online for him to know. We talked and cried. Again, so grateful.
There is a touching reason that Guatemala City North Mission is so close to our hearts. That will be in the next post...
What a beautiful post Meegan! I think opening a mission call is almost as exciting as giving birth! So glad you shared your emotions of that day. The Guatemala City North Mission is so blessed to have Evan be a part of it. Truly the best mission in the world!!!!
ReplyDeleteI just cried reading that! ..for so many reasons! I am so grateful for Evan and the friendship that he and K.C. developed in the MTC together, for the knowledge of what these missions do for our children, and for the gospel and it's ever reaching arms.
ReplyDelete